Wednesday, October 13, 2010

One day behind...

Sorry about not posting a blog last night, the internet in my room was in and out and I was quite tired.  I know.  I know.  NO EXCUSES, these are our kids here.  I can assure that they are all still in one piece and they are having a great time.

Now for yesterday... The visit to City Hall to meet the mayor and then to middle school visits with a pinch of the beach right at the end.  We all met at City Hall at 8:00 AM with our Junior Wings polo shirts and smiling faces.  This was going to be our first whole day together in Nanao and we were all looking forward to that.  I was, I assume that the kids were, but I what happens when you assume.  But that doesn't really matter right now.

Anyway,  the chaperones had a little talk about how to behave in the mayor's office and we were off to the chambers.  Our kids were great, once the mayor arrived it was as if they weren't middle school students for the briefest of times.  The mayor of Nanao gave a speech which was interpreted for our English ears and then Kim gave a speech for all the Japanese ears.  Shaden then stood and delivered her speech with no hint of nervousness in her voice.  Everyone was then given pins and the mayor his gift and then he went off to run the world and we were off to see it.

After City Hall we went to the first of our two middle schools:  Toubu Middle School.  We arrived to the school and were amazed at the size of the place.  It was like Colton was hanging out with Barry Bonds a few years ago.  Too soon?  So we went inside and exchanged our shoes for green rubber slippers.  For some this was a perfect fit.  For others, the shoes felt like we were playing reverse dress-up.  Dress down?  No, that doesn't make any sense.




We went into a room and were addressed by one of the English teachers and then were introduced to the principal.  After that brief encounter, we were led throughout the halls of this massive school.  With a little over 600 students, it felt like it would be impossible to find them in the maze of classrooms and hallways.  We did see them though and the classes were all disrupted by those American schoolchildren running amuck in the school.

We went to an art lesson and were taught how to paint Mt. Fuji.  It was awesome and the art teacher spoke English very well.  He told us that he loved art so much that he named his son Art.  Ha.  He gave a lecture on traditional black ink water painting and then modeled how it is done.  Luckily he gave us a practice sheet of paper first because it is not as easy as he made it look.  After rigorous practice, we were ready for the big game.  We painted these awesome paintings on very expensive paper and then were given the stamp of approval from our teacher.


The students were then taught how to play a song on a koto.  Sort of a harp on wood.  I don't know.  The music teacher said that the instrument was supposed to resemble a dragon.  I couldn't see it.  No imagination I guess.  Each student was put into a group with three Japanese students and the plucking of strings began.  They all did a great job.  It was music to my ears.  Ha Ha, get it.  After our students completed their miniature symphonies, everyone was put to shame by the music teacher herself.  She played and sang like the first light of morning.  It was very pretty.

After that, we went back to our holding room, ate some food, laughed about whatever we laughed about and then were off to another middle school.

***Okay, so here's what is happening.  The internet in my room seems to be breathing in an out and on each intake, I disconnect.  I am trying to add pictures and finish writing, but I must save every other sentence in order to not have to start over and over.  So, I am going to end here for the night.  I am sorry, but I have a sudden urge to throw the computer out of the fourth floor window.  Since this is my girlfriend's computer, I think it wise not to do so.  Also it's late.

I will pick up where I left off next time.  Once again, I am sorry.

1 comment: